The reason most people don’t understand how to convert pounds to kilograms is that they’re unaware of the pounds to kilograms conversion formula. For this reason, most people use pounds subtraction calculator, pounds addition calculator or pounds multiplication table, but they don’t use any of these formulas. Well, you can neglect doing calculations with any mathematical tool once you know how to convert pounds to kilograms. Below you will learn How To Convert Lbs To Kg.
Both pounds (lbs) and kilograms (kg) are used to measure weight or mass. Pounds are an imperial unit most often used in America, while kilograms are a metric unit commonly used in European countries. Note that 1 pound is equal to 0.454 kilograms and 1 kilogram is equal to 2.2046 pounds. There are multiple ways to easily convert between the two units.
Table of Contents
Method 1Method 1 of 2:Pounds to Kilograms
- 1Divide the number of pounds by 2.2046 to use the standard equation. For example, if you want to convert 50 pounds to kilograms, divide 50 by 2.2046, which is equal to 22.67985 kg. To convert 200 pounds to kilograms, divide 200 by 2.2046, which is equal to 90.71940 kg.
- 2Multiply the number of pounds by 0.454 as an alternative. If you find multiplication easier to do in your head than division, you can use a different conversion factor to convert pounds to kilograms. For instance, to convert 100 pounds to kilograms, multiply 100 by 0.454, which is 45.4 kg.
- 3Round your answer to the hundredths place. In most instances, you won’t need to use more than 3 numbers after the decimal point. So, if your answer is 22.67985, round that to 22.68. As another example, round 90.71940 to 90.72.
- Avoid rounding the number of pounds before you convert them to kilograms.
Method 2Method 2 of 2:Kilograms to Pounds
- 1Multiply the number of kilograms by 2.2046 to use the traditional formula. For instance, to convert 75 kilograms to pounds, multiply 75 by 2.2046, which is 165.345 lbs. To convert 350 kilograms to pounds, multiply 350 by 2.2046, which is 771.61 lbs.
- 2Divide the number of kilograms by 0.454 if you find that easier. If you prefer, you can use division to convert kilograms to pounds. For example, if you want to convert 25 kilograms to pounds, divide 25 by 0.454, which is 55.066 lbs. Or, divide 500 kilograms by 0.454 to get 1,101.321 lbs.
- 3Remember that there will be more pounds than kilograms. Because 1 kilogram is equal to 2.2046 pounds, there will always be more pounds than kilograms once you do the conversion. Keep this in mind and recheck your calculations if you ever have more pounds than kilograms.
- For instance, 30 kilograms is equal to 66.138 pounds and 1,000 kilograms is equal to 2,204.6 pounds. In both examples, there are more pounds than kilograms.
Quick and easy pounds to kilograms conversion
If you’re just trying to convert pounds to kilograms for cooking or to know your own weight, there’s a handy rule of thumb you can use:
To get kilograms, divide by 2 then take off 1/10th of your answer
Eg 100 pounds… Divide by two = 50 Kg. Take off 1/10th = (50 – 5) = 45 Kg.
This is close to the genuine answer of 45.35923kg, and is a much easier sum to do in your head!
Definitions of Pounds and Kilograms
The pound unit of weight is also known as the imperial pound, avoirdupois pound and international pound. The pound is defined as 453.59237 grams. Pound is often shortened to ‘lb’, so we can say 1lb=453.59237g
One kilogram (normally abbreviated to ‘Kg’) is almost exactly equal to the mass of one litre of water.
The kilogram is an SI base unit – this means that all other metric mass (weight) units are defined in terms of kilograms .
Pounds to Kilograms conversion table
|Pounds (lb)||Kilograms (kg)||Kilograms+Grams (kg+g)|
|0 lb||0 kg||0 kg 0 g|
|0.1 lb||0.045 kg||0 kg 45 g|
|1 lb||0.454 kg||0 kg 454 g|
|2 lb||0.907 kg||0 kg 907 g|
|3 lb||1.361 kg||1 kg 361 g|
|4 lb||1.814 kg||1 kg 814 g|
|5 lb||2.268 kg||2 kg 268 g|
|6 lb||2.722 kg||2 kg 722 g|
|7 lb||3.175 kg||3 kg 175 g|
|8 lb||3.629 kg||3 kg 629 g|
|9 lb||4.082 kg||4 kg 82 g|
|10 lb||4.536 kg||4 kg 536 g|
|20 lb||9.072 kg||9 kg 72 g|
|30 lb||13.608 kg||13 kg 608 g|
|40 lb||18.144 kg||18 kg 144 g|
|50 lb||22.680 kg||22 kg 680 g|
|60 lb||27.216 kg||27 kg 216 g|
|70 lb||31.751 kg||31 kg 751 g|
|80 lb||36.287 kg||36 kg 287 g|
|90 lb||40.823 kg||40 kg 823 g|
|100 lb||45.359 kg||45 kg 359 g|
|1000 lb||453.592 kg||453 kg 592 g|
It would be quite helpful to know how to convert lbs to kg. Just like in general, most Americans are not accustomed to the metric system. We’re familiar with inches, feet, yards, miles, and ounces (not fluid ounces. People regularly confuse that). To measure food in the United States , we use units called cup measures or tablespoons or even sometimes teaspoons.